The concept of body positivity is a powerful force in reshaping beauty standards and redefining the way we perceive ourselves. It celebrates every curve, contour, and unique aspect that makes us who we are. Although the last days of summer are here, beach days will always be a reality, and it’s only right to up your choice of swimsuits.
A mix of excitement and apprehension often accompanies swimsuit shopping. While we want to have fun, we also are conscious of our bodies. However, we must shift our focus to embracing our bodies and understanding that beauty transcends a specific mould.
The fashion world is evolving, and the swimwear industry is no exception. Designers and brands are answering the call for inclusivity, crafting swimsuits that celebrate diverse body types and amplify inner confidence.
In this guide, we dive into the diverse world of flattering swimsuits for every body type. But first, the dos and don’ts.
The dos and don’ts of choosing swimsuits
- Prioritise comfort: Opt for comfortable swimsuits that facilitate ease of movement. You don’t want to be the girl who is too busy adjusting her swimsuit to have fun.
- Know your size: Possessing an adequate knowledge of your specific size helps you make better choices. A well-fitting swimsuit not only looks better but also boosts your confidence.
- Select flattering colours and prints: Like other pieces of clothing, choosing colours and patterns that complement your skin tone and body shape is essential with swimsuits.
- Embrace your style: Infuse your personal style into your choice of swimsuits. Regardless, there is a swimsuit style for you.
- Mix and match: Who doesn’t love a fun mix and match? Maximise your swimsuits by pairing bikini tops and bottoms for an exciting final look. This will also help you experiment and discover the best combination for your body type.
- Attention to detail: Look for features like adjustable straps, removable padding, and underwire for added comfort and support. These details ensure a good fitting of your swimsuits.
- Experiment with different styles: Trying out various designs is a surefire way of finding what works best for your body type. Leave your comfort zone and have fun with them.
- Don’t overlook support: Avoid swimsuits that lack proper support for your bust and other parts of your body that require it. It’s essential to feel secure and comfortable in your swimsuit.
- Avoid ill-fitting swimsuits: Avoid swimsuits that create bulges or gaps because they can be pretty unflattering to your body. Pieces with great fitting always ensure you have fun while looking your best.
- Pay attention to the fabric: Steer clear of swimsuits made from low-quality materials like cheap polyester blends, Vinyl or PVC, or poor-grade lycra that can feel stiff and uncomfortable or lose shape quickly.
- Avoid trends: Especially when different from your style or flattering to your body. While it’s fun to experiment with trends, only some are worth emulating.
- Remember to accessorise: While swimsuits are essential, use sun hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen for added style and protection.
Swimsuit perfect for your body type
Understanding your body shape is a crucial foundation for making informed swimsuit choices. It is the key to purchasing a swimsuit that accentuates your best features while providing the proper support and coverage where needed.
Women with smaller bust proportions should opt for swimsuits with ruffles, frills, or soft padding for the illusion of volume. It is best to have them in triangle bikini tops, bandeau styles, and bold prints to enhance the look. However, you should also avoid heavily padded tops that overwhelm your smaller bust or might be uncomfortable.
For a bigger bust, you require significant support. Go for swimsuits with underwire, adjustable straps, and sturdy cups that provide this. Consider high-neck halter tops, bralette styles, and one-pieces with built-in bras that offer substantial coverage.
Adopt one-piece swimsuits with strategic cutouts or belted details into your choices. High-waist bikini bottoms and monokinis with patterns or embellishments create a good balance between the legs and upper body. Swimsuits with horizontal stripes can visually shorten the appearance of a long torso, creating a more balanced and flattering silhouette.
Opt for swimsuits with details like ruffles or prints to soften broad shoulders. Halter necklines, scoop necks, and asymmetrical designs draw attention away from the shoulders to more flattering points.
Balance wide hips with dark-coloured bottoms and eye-catching tops. High-waisted bikini bottoms, flared skirts, and one-pieces with strategic patterns flatter wider hips.
We all don’t have the luxury of maintaining flat tummies (yes, we are jealous). Swimsuits with tummy control panels, ruching, or peplum details provide more flattering options. Tankinis, one-pieces with sarong-style draping, and high-waisted bottoms are also great for coverage. Avoid tight-fitted and overly skimpy pieces to avoid discomfort.
Understanding your body type and selecting swimsuits that flatter your unique features empower your confidence and comfort at the beach/pool. Remember, every kind of body is a swimsuit body. You only need to style them impeccably.